The New Year is fast approaching and you may be considering a few New Years resolutions. For many, these usually include losing weight, making more money, or buying a new car. It is important to make sure you set new goals for a healthier lifestyle, and that also includes goals for your mouth.
Here are five tips that will help get you on the right track towards your New Years resolution for oral health.
1. Eat healthier. Poor nutrition can have a dramatic effect on your mouth, which could lead to periodontal disease and other oral problems. Fruits and vegetables contain antioxidants that help your immune system fight bacteria. Not only will this strengthen your health, it will also improve your breath and clean plaque.
2. Stop using tobacco products. Tobacco is one of the leading causes to dental risks. It can cause cavities, mouth diseases, discoloration, and even lead to cancer. People that smoke are much more likely to lose their teeth than people who don’t use tobacco products at all.
3. Drink less alcohol. Like tobacco, alcohol is another substance that decreases your health with excessive use. This can lead to gum disease, and can also cause discoloration. Also, people that drink excessively have a weaker immune system. This allows bacteria to do damage to your mouth and ruin your smile.
4. Brush and floss everyday. Make sure your brush your teeth for at least two minutes, and at least twice a day. It is best practice to brush after you eat to make sure you get rid of any excess acid or food on your teeth. This will prevent your teeth decay and losing your enamel. Also make sure your floss after you brush. Flossing will get the food stuck between your teeth and will also make your gums much more healthier.
5. Keep regular checkups with your dentist. One of your New Years resolutions for healthier teeth should include seeing your dentist every six months. This will help prevent any health issues before they get worse. Please contact us if you would like to setup an appointment to help get your 2015 started right!